Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Changing of the Seasons

Lately I've been pretty focused on finding a new job and deciding what I really want to study in grad school. I have some options, which I guess is good. Some of my friends have pushed me toward studying scenic and lighting design and going back into theater professionally. It's something I love and would be happy to get into, but I'm also not sure that it's a viable career choice. It's not like I think there's no money out there, but it does involve long hours and...anyhow it's a bit of a struggle in my mind. I love teaching, and one day I hope to have the change to do that too, but I think you have to do a lot of learning before you can be a good teacher. I'm a pretty talented designer though. I guess we'll see what happens.

I actually thought about the purpose a bit more (you didn't think I would, did you). I briefly considered muddling along about it like I usually do with things like this. A purpose just locks you down in one way or another. But it also focuses you, and since part of the reason I wanted to do this was to regain some mental control and discipline, I need to have a little more structure than that. My plan (subject to change without warning) is to refine the purpose as I go, starting along the lines of "write every day". Once I get that down, well...we'll take it from there.

Next time I'll talk about my idea for a set and lighting for Macbeth. It's something I've had in my head for a long time, so now I'm going to share it.

2 comments:

Pocket Size said...

Hmm, why not try moving towards teaching lighting design? Would that be viable?

P.Proteus1035 said...

Remember we have to end up teaching different courses at the same school at some point late in life. You can be Cy and I'll be Katcher.

Why not simply define your purpose as your title to the blog there by giving the ability to change purpose with each new blog?